I took what parts I have and cobbled together a complete functional prototype and played three hours of World of Warcraft with it. I managed to used this new trackball in place of my Logitech Trackman for the entire time. It is certainly a learning curve and getting the buttons in just the right spot is important. Once everything was where it belonged and adjusted, it was awesome. I really like it. According to the performance meter, I was top of my class in the game too.
I cut some little single sided copper clad board pieces and soldered wires to them for buttons and taped them to the sand glove. I pulled the trackball over beside the sand glove for thumb operation.
Having a successful test and support from the community has really inspired me to keep moving forward. Thanks!